More than 80 experts have been confirmed as speakers at the Safety and Security Research Symposium on September 8th, 2021. This year the event is arranged in connection with Leadership Symposium. SURE, Tampere University and ETAIROS will introduce top industry and academic speakers in the Academic Zoom Channel from 1.30 pm to 4.45 pm with the topic Event security – people, continuity and the future.
Event security and technology go hand in hand when it comes to building secure events. However, there is a risk that events rely too much on security technologies decreasing trust and sense of security. SURE and ETAIROS have invited expert speakers like Ari Solja from Securitas, Teemu Knuutila from PSHP, Teppo Rantanen from the City of Tampere, and the 8th Myth, also known as the artist Brandon Emene. The session will answer relevant event security questions like:
- How to find a proper balance between human and technological elements in securing events and perceived safety?
- What is trust and can we trust a machine? Capacities and limitations of AI
- How ethical evaluation could be embedded into the security design process to support public trust?
- Are there some particular safety procedures learned during the Covid-19 pandemic that will be carried out in the future events?
You can find the full session program and speakers below. Please note you have to register (free) until September 3rd.
Anniina Autero, City of Tampere, SURE project & Ilari Karppi, Tampere University
13.30 Space, security and the atmosphere – elements of future events
Ilari Karppi & Iina Sankala, SURE, Tampere University
13.45 Artificial intelligence and the sense of security – can we trust the machines in events?
Emmi Koskimies, ETAIROS, Tampere University
14.00 Panel / Roundtable discussion
- Socio-technic approach: Balance between tools (technology) and the people, question of perceived safety
- AI & Ethics: Trust as a systemic process. AI now: Capacities and limitations of AI – perspectives for the future, means to an end, rather than ends to a mean.
- After being deployed in events, new security and surveillance technologies often enter the surrounding urban space: problematic?
- Brandon Emene, artist
- Teppo Rantanen (online), City of Tampere
- Ari Solja, Securitas
- Teemu Knuutila, PSHP
14:45 Session ends